0 Comment. A conference on Media Development in Myanmar/Burma was held at Kandawgyi Palace Hotel in Yangon on 20-21 May. It was the second conference with an address by Union Minister for Information Aung Kyi. It was cosponsored by the Ministry ... catched
The defendants are spared the death penalty over the killing of Thawbita. catched
Burmese President Thein Sein began a visit to Washington Sunday, joining a town hall meeting at the Voice of America. He met with President Barack Ob catched
- Thein Sein Vows Reforms on Historic White House Visit
- Religious Freedom 'Improves' in Vietnam, Declines in China
- Obama Vows US Support as Burma Leader Visits
- Human-Rights Groups Criticize Obama's Meeting With Myanmar Leader
- Obama praises, encourages change in Burma - USA Today
- Thein Sein becomes first Burmese president to visit US since 1966
- Guangzhou's Elite Cemetery Plans Spark Chinese Ire
Business And Economy
The Burma reform group raises concerns about political prisoners and investment projects. catched
- Why (Almost) No One In Myanmar Wanted My Money
- Buddhist world must rally around Myanmar
- The Buddhist world must rally around Burma (Myanmar) - News.lk
- The Buddhist World Must Rally Around Burma (Myanmar) - OpEd
- The Buddhist world must rally around Burma (Myanmar)
- US lifts more sanctions on Myanmar to support reforms
- Recent sanctions developments concerning Myanmar (Burma), North Korea ...
- Opinion: No change at all on the ground in Burma
- EU's flawed approach to Myanmar - Burma News International
The Economy of Myanmar is one of the least developed in the world, suffering from decades of stagnation, mismanagement, and isolation. Burma’s GDP stands at $42.953 billion and grows at an average rate of 2.9% annually – the lowest rate of economic growth in the Greater Mekong Subregion.
PHUKET: Thailand's western neighbor, Myanmar (Burma), is now one of the hottest destination for a holiday. After decades of international boycotts and sanctions, the April elections in Myanmar brought not just hopes of democracy and investment, but ... catched
AMERICAN singer-songwriter Jason Mraz has mixed entertainment with education to become the first world-class entertainer in decades to perform in Myanmar (Burma), with a concert to raise awareness about human trafficking. Mraz's 2008 hit I'm Yours was ... catched
For this reason, I have determined that it is necessary to continue the national emergency with respect to Burma,” Obama said in letter to Congress. Last month, the European Union lifted most of its sanctions against Myanmar, except for arms embargoes ... catched
- Myanmar - letting the dust settle
- Burmese Police Uncover Monk’s Bid to Smuggle Rohingyas
- NIU Burma Studies directors rescue, return 1000-year-old Buddha statue to ...
- Myanmar Burma voted best place to experience in South East Asia
- Burma is the place to visit in 2013
- Australians safe after Myanmar plane crash-lands on road, killing two
- At least 2 dead after Burma flight crash-lands
- 3 killed in Burma plane crash
- Myanmar plane crash kills child, rider
Travel Destinations and Resorts in Myanmar, Burma
President Obama praised changes in the country he repeatedly referred to as "Myanmar" on Monday, but he added that the military government there needs to go even further. While official U.S. policy refers to the Asian nation by its older name — Burma ... catched
- White House playing a name game on Burma - Washington Post
- Obama, Burmese President Discuss Way Forward for Reforms - VOA
- Burma president pardons political prisoners ahead of US visit
- US begins limited use of the name 'Myanmar' for Burma
- Obama to meet leader of Burma (Myanmar) - USA Today
- Nearly 200 killed in Myanmar boat accident
- USA lifts visa ban on Myanmar, national emergency continues - The Statesman
- Rakhine Report Recommends Security, Aid Boost
- Karen refugees from Myanmar find foothold in North Carolina
Culture And Society
YANGON, Myanmar — For two decades, China benefited from Myanmar's status as an international pariah. In the early 1990s, the United States, European Union and other countries instituted economic sanctions on Myanmar, also called Burma, after the ... catched
- Burma Leader Making Landmark White House Visit
- Myanmar frees political prisoners before president goes to US
- Are Buddhist Monks Involved In Myanmar's Violence?
- Thailand, Myanmar share common destiny
- EU relaxes sanctions against Syria, including oil embargo, and ends economic ...
- Boat carrying 100 evacuees capsizes off Burma
- Myanmar on alert as cyclone grows
- Why (Almost) No One In Myanmar Wanted My Money
- Burma's Human Rights Commission Urged To Probe Rights Abuses In Ethnic ...
The culture of Myanmar(or Burma) has been heavily influenced by Buddhism and the Mon people. The Burmese culture has also been heavily influenced particularly by China, as the main ethnic group of Burma, the Bamar people are believed to have migrated to the Ayeyarwady region of Burma from what is now present day Yunnan in China. Burma also shares a number of cultural similarities with other countries in the same area of Southeast Asia as well. In more recent times, British colonial rule and westernisation have influenced aspects of Burmese culture, including language and education.
Although he was not well-known before his death, his life instantly became a trending topic in Myanmar after his execution. A number of Myanmar Facebook users were frustrated to learn that Chinese media networks aired the execution on live TV [viewer ... catched
- Abuses continue across Myanmar, say NGOs
- Medical Crisis Looms in Rakhine
- Mosquitoes' Bite Bridges Gap Between Burma's Military, Civil Society
- Burma hot under the collar over sex ed mag
- Myanmar says nuclear program will be peaceful
- Myanmar health care broken under military rule
- Govt to set up NZ$6 mln dairy farm in Burma, PM Key says; Fonterra appoints ...
- Stakes Rise In Malaria Battle As Cracks Appear In Drug's Armor
- MSF Blocked in Rakhine
At the same time the Council also agreed to lift all sanctions against Myanmar/Burma, except a continuing embargo on arms. Syria. Background. Council Decision 2013/186/CFSP (April 22, 2013) is the second amending decision providing waivers of the ... catched
- Re: Burma (or is it Myanmar?): Why We Are All Lost in Translation
- Fanatical Buddhist Monk Saydaw Wirathu Calling for Boycott of Myanmar ...
- Anonymous targets genocide in Myanmar (Burma): Operation Rohingya
- Myanmar Moves to Rebuild Its Universities, With US Help
- Burmese Students Find Hope in University Revival
- International Writers Converge in Rangoon for Literature Festival
- US told: 'Don't call us Burma'
- Burma: Will President recover country's education prestige
- Kachin Ceasefire Ignored